Why we're taking action
The climate emergency is also a health emergency. Its effects will increase the challenges that already make life hard for so many of the people we support: the cost of energy and food, inadequate housing, overstretched public services, unemployment, or a feeling of things being out of control.
Through our sustainability programme, we will:
- Reach net zero by 2030.
- Reduce our impact on our planet.
- Improve health conditions for the people we support and our colleagues – now and in the future.
How we're taking action
We published our carbon reduction plan (see link below) in November 2023. By then, we had already:
- Installed smart meters across all our sites to improve monitoring and find opportunities to reduce our emissions.
- Offered electric vehicle leasing through a salary sacrifice scheme.
- Launched mandatory environmental awareness training to all colleagues.
- Reduced our office footprint by closing satellite offices, preventing unnecessary carbon emissions.
- Worked with our colleagues to develop of our carbon reduction plan, through a sustainability survey and the colleague forum.
- Started a review of our environmental policy.
- Launched a green Values Award for our colleagues.
Here’s what we’re doing next…
- Review properties for energy efficiency and fabric improvements.
- Switch to greener energy tariffs.
- Scope the feasibility of on-site renewable energy generation.
- Develop infrastructure for internal equipment reuse.
- Minimise waste.
- Work with community groups to develop green spaces.
- Apply effective environmental guidelines for new premises.
- Design and deliver a bespoke Carbon Literacy training course.
- Identify and share relevant volunteering opportunities.
- Improve facilities to encourage active travel.
- Information campaigns to encourage low carbon transport.
- Review supplier data and update procurement policy.
- Require key suppliers to have net zero targets.
- Improve Carbon Literacy across organisation and offer training to key suppliers.
- Review financial investments.
- Develop sustainability reporting dashboard.
- Recalculate carbon footprint to include additional scope 3 categories.
- Improve data collection & analysis.
- Incorporate a new sustainability committee and delivery group.
- Set SMART targets.