We are one of three partner organisations delivering Chain Reaction, which is commissioned by Newcastle City Council and supports older people to live independently in the community.
Who is the service for?
Chain Reaction offers support that is flexible, personalised, and works with older people to support them in deciding what they would like to achieve and how to make this happen.
We offer a variety of support, from sorting out financial worries to organising outings, and responds to the person’s unique needs.
What we do and how we help
We’re here to ensure that older people can get the support they need to live at home.
This includes feeling safe and well, being treated with dignity and respect, being in control of making decisions, and being able to stay in touch with family, friends, and the community.
Our team supports people to meet their needs in a creative and person-centred way. We aim to include the following three elements in the support we offer people.
1. One-to-one personalised support
This will be different for each person, and could include:
- Support to address health issues.
- Support around budgeting.
- Help to make phone calls or deal with correspondence.
- Being someone to talk to who knows the individual.
- Domestic skills, such as food preparation.
2. Connecting people to their community
This might include:
- Help to get out and do the shopping.
- Finding out what’s going on in the community and local area.
- Help to reconnect or get involved with local groups and activities.
3. Connecting people to others and creating a network of natural support
We want to help to prevent people feeling lonely by:
- Having some support to come to groups and meeting new people.
- Making new friends, or reconnecting with family or old friends who are important to the individual.
- Connecting with people who have shared interests.
Cost of the support
There are three levels of support that we provide:
- Prevention (free low-level support, funded by Public Health)
- Foundation (£40.62 per week)
- Life Skills (£61.42 per week)
The Life Skills level allows for a longer visit or an extra visit each week, to allow people’s individual needs to be met.
How to access the service
Referrals can be made by telephone.
Please call the number best suited to the area of Newcastle upon Tyne that the older person lives in:
- Central and North: 0300 300 7070
- East: 0791 7686658
- West: 0191 273 7443
For general enquiries, please email (please note we cannot accept referrals by email):