Long-term condition support
Ways to Wellness was set up to deliver social prescribing for people whose daily lives are affected by certain long-term health conditions.
The service delivers multiple projects via their innovation hub, tacking health inequalities and supporting people across the North East and North Cumbria.
The Ways to Wellness long-term conditions service is for people aged 18-74, who attend participating GP practices in Newcastle upon Tyne and have one or more of the following long-term health conditions:
- Chronic breathing difficulties (COPD) or asthma
- Diabetes (type 1 or type 2)
- Heart disease
- Thinning of the bones (osteoporosis)
- Pre-diabetes (non-diabetic hyperglycaemia)
- Osteoarthritis of the hip/knee
- Any of the above with depression and/or anxiety
The support we offer
Ways to Wellness complements the medical support that people receive, which helps them to feel more confident in managing their long-term conditions and making positive lifestyle choices.
Each Ways to Wellness participant works with a link worker, who helps each person to find ways to manage their long-term conditions.
The link workers help participants to produce an agreed action plan, which may include one or more of the following:
- Getting involved in local groups and activities.
- Developing positive relationships.
- Accessing specialist services and support.
- Healthy eating and cooking.
- Getting more active.
- Getting support around benefits and welfare rights.
Ways to Wellness,
2nd Floor, Forth Banks House,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
Phone: 0191 816 3540